Are you wondering who the best Ecuadorian UFC fighters of all time are?
In this article, we’ll look at the best Ecuadorian UFC fighters and go through their martial arts background, credentials, skills in the UFC, and the competition they’ve faced.
Best Ecuadorian UFC Fighters
There haven’t been many Ecuadorian UFC fighters in the UFC, so there are only a few fighters who can make this list.
Without further ado, here are the best Ecuadorian UFC fighters ranked starting with the best.
1. Marlon Vera – ‘Chito’ (21-8-1)
Height: 5’8” | Reach: 70” | Stance: Southpaw | Weight Class: Bantamweight
Born in Chone, Ecuador, Marlon Vera started his martial arts journey in Brazilian jiu-jitsu at 16 years old, as a way to better defend himself in the many street fights he was having.
5 years on, Vera started competing in amateur MMA and turned professional just one year later at the age of 20.
What makes Marlon Vera so good?
- He has height, power, and a huge frame for a bantamweight
- left head kick from the southpaw stance – used it to KO Dominick Cruz
- Powerful and accurate front kick to the body and head – used it to KO Frankie Edgar
- Elite killer instincts and well-roundedness – 8 knockouts and 8 submissions in 20 wins (so high for a bantamweight)
- High cardiovascular endurance combined with an economical fighting style (fights quite flat-footed and doesn’t overexert himself)
- Aggressive elbows in the clinch
- High composure even in the pocket when pressuring
- Brilliant forward pressure where he cuts angles and boxes fighters in until they gas themselves with constant lateral movement
- Granite chin – never been finished in 29 MMA fights
Marlon Vera’s weakness is how he can start too slowly because he spends time making reads. This has caused him to lose a few close decision fights.
Nevertheless, on his way to becoming a top 5 UFC bantamweight, Vera beat Dominick Cruz, Rob Font, Frankie Edgar, Davey Grant, Pedro Munhoz, and Sean O’Malley (current bantamweight champion).
Overall, Marlon ‘Chito’ Vera is a brilliantly fun fighter to watch and well deserving of his title as the best Ecuadorian UFC fighter of all time.
2. Michael Morales (15-0)
Height: 6’0” | Reach: 79” | Stance: Orthodox | Weight Class: Welterweight
Michael Morales made his professional MMA debut at 18 years old in 2017 and is one of the brightest young prospects in the UFC today (2023).
Both of his parents were Olympic athletes and judo black belts – so he has elite fighting genes.
Since joining, he’s won 3 UFC fights and taken his MMA record to 15-0-0.
But what makes Michael Morales so good?
- When taken down, he’s shown excellent composure and Bjj defense to get back to his feet with sweeps and rolls
- Strong chin because he’s been hit hard a few times
- Physical specimen for the welterweight division – strength, height, range, explosiveness
- Lethal range, power, and precision with his straight right and lead jab – he’s managed 11 knockouts in 15 MMA wins
- Stiff and rangy jab from the outside – he throws it from a low height so it’s hard to see it coming
- Great takedown defense with chain wrestling
- Amazing composure and calmness for a fighter only 24 years old – he even looks too relaxed at times
So far, Michael Morales has beaten Adam Fugitt, Max Griffin, and Trevin Giles – 3 tough tests.
While early in his UFC career, Michael Morales has so much potential that Raul Arvizu (Entram gym owner) put him up for 5 months free of charge before his DWCS debut.
Even if there were many Ecuadorian UFC fighters, Michael Morales would still have easily made the list.
The best Ecuadorian UFC fighters are Marlon Vera and up-and-coming young talent Michael Morales.
The only other Ecuadorian UFC fighter before them was Rudyard Moncayo. His first and only fight was at UFC 6 in 1995, where he lost via rear-naked choke in the first round.
Another Ecuadorian fighter who could potentially get a UFC contract is Carlos Vera, who’s competing on the TUF: Season 31.
As more Ecuadorian fighters prove themselves in the UFC, they’ll be added to this list.
If you enjoyed this article, you may be interested in reading about the:
- Best Cuban UFC fighters